Saturday, April 2, 2011

Garlic eviction

I planted some garlic bulbs back in early November and they have done well.  However,  I need the space in which they're living for the tomatoes and peppers.  I hate to give them the heave-ho, but everyone changes work locations at some point in their career, right?  We've had something of a mini heat wave  (in the 90's) and the beds are nice and warm.  Looks like I'll be planting everything in two weeks.

I thought about transplanting the garlic into some pots, but wasn't sure how that would work out.   In the end, I decided to replant them along the fence figuring they will be tall enough by the time the tomatoes grow big enough to overtake them.   I really should think these things out in advance, but never do.

I got as much as the root ball as I could,  and gave them a good heap of homemade compost, so here's hoping they do well!







The seedlings have been successfully hardened off and now reside outside.  They're really starting to put on some nice growth.

4 comments:

  1. I moved my shallots last spring, and they grew fine. I didn't even bother with a root ball, just treated them like an onion plant. I'll bet your garlic does great. It wouldn't surprise me if some of the tops die back, then grow new ones, just like onion transplants do.

    Your tomato plants look so big and healthy! Mine are much smaller, but I can't plant them out for at least a month. Last year's were much smaller at this date, but huge by time to plant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The garlic will probably do just fine. Your tomaotes look very happy & healthy...nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Granny and Robin,
    Thanks for the words of encouragement, I'll keep you posted on their progress. By the way, I really enjoyed reading all about both of you on those postings related to your awards. I'm waiting for the movie to come out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never even thought about relocating root crops like garlic, although I guess they might be a bit more tolerant than something like carrots. I hope they adapt well in their new neighborhood!

    To answer your question, I do remember Pea Soup Andersens. I used to see it all the time when I drove between LA/SF. But would you believe that I never once stopped there? Ugh, I was always in a hurry and kept saying "next time" and that next time never came. Maybe "NEXT" time! :-)

    ReplyDelete